The European Capital of Culture’s top rated hotels
With 2013 well underway, the French city of Marseille has assumed its position as European Capital of Culture. In celebration of this, the city promises plenty for visitors to enjoy throughout the year including circuses, exhibitions, street entertainment, open air concerts and much more.
But apart from being this year’s European Capital of Culture, what else does Marseille have to offer? Well, as one of the oldest cities in France (founded 2,600 years ago), it’s steeped in history so great if you’re a history buff. And, if you’re into watersports, Marseille is the place to be. Plus, boasting over 300 days of sunshine per year, the chance of good weather when visiting the city is highly likely.
If you’re looking to head to Marseille, we at TripAdvisor have put together a list of the top 10 hotels in the city according to our community of reviewers*:
1. Sofitel Marseille Vieux-Port – Located in the heart of the city’s ancient harbour area, this hotel is inspired by Marseille’s history and marine connections. Touches of the sea can be found throughout and the design evokes a feeling of being inside the cabin of a yacht. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “From the moment we arrived the service was exceptional. The hotel room was excellent with fantastic views of the old port.”
2. Music Hotel – Offering an intimate feel with fewer than 20 rooms, this hotel is close to the beach, Marseille Opera House, the Old Port of Marseille, and Vieux Port. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “We couldn't have stayed in a better hotel. Staff were very welcoming, friendly and attentive. We had a great, spacious room with a designer look and feel.”
3. Le Ryad – Inspired by Marseille’s North African influences, this hotel is designed with a Moroccan feel. Located just a stone’s throw from the Old Port, it has nine rooms on offer and boasts a courtyard in the centre of the building filled with trees, roses and a fountain by which guests can enjoy breakfast. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “My experience in Le Ryad was exceptional. The service is first class and the rooms and amenities are wonderful.”
4. Residence du Vieux – Located on the south bank of the famous Old Port, this hotel offers stunning views of the waterfront. The rooms have recently been renovated with a chic 50’s retro feel. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “A wonderful hotel in a perfect location. We stayed on the 6th floor and had a great view of the old Port with the Notre-Dame de la Garde beyond.”
5. Mama Shelter – This stylish hotel is located in the city centre and its amenities include an iMac with TV, radio, internet, free WiFi access and on-demand movies in room, digital concierge and in-room pamper products. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Love the decor of the hotel, especially the rooms. Super comfortable beds, great bathrooms and good bed linen.”
Seven Urban Suites Prado – Ideally situated at the heart of Marseille and its business area and only 200m from the ‘Perier’ metro, the Seven Urban Suites Prado offers both hotel and apartment accommodation. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Our room was immaculately clean and everything was new and contemporary. It is perfect for those who are looking for value-for-money and who wish to have the flexibility of being able to self-cater.”
Hotel Lutia – This small and intimate hotel is located in the lively city centre offering ten rooms for those looking for a home from home experience. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Friendly service, super clean, lovely big rooms with unbelievably large bathrooms! Flat screen TV, free WiFi, lots of fresh towels every day and the breakfast was plentiful and delicious.”
Holiday Inn Express Marseille Saint Charles – Conveniently located opposite Marseille's busy Saint Charles rail and metro station, this hotel boasts three tranquil terraces, dotted with leafy shrubs which guests can enjoy meals and drinks from during the summer months. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Great location, very convenient for leisure and business travellers. Our room was spacious and modern with everything we needed.”
9. Pullman Marseille Palm Beach – A stylish and contemporary hotel, the Pullman Marseille Palm Beach boasts a pool that overlooks the Mediterranean Sea, sauna, whirlpool bath and marine-themed rooms. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Superb hotel. Room (with sea view) was absolutely lovely, Breakfast was excellent and the staff were very proactive and professional.”
10. Radisson Blu Hotel Marseille Vieux Port – This hotel boasts an outdoor swimming pool with views of Vieux Port, a patio where guests can enjoy a game of bowls and mini-golf and a spa offering a range of treatments. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The location was priceless, right in front of the harbour. The building is very modern and spacious and the breakfast spread was unbelievable – every type of food for every taste.”
For more information on Marseille, go to http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g187253-Marseille_Bouches_du_Rhone_Provence-Vacations.html
*List is according to TripAdvisor’s popularity index. Please note the popularity index is dynamic and can change at any time. List was accurate as of 21 January 2013.