TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site, today announced the launch of its new "Live View" feature for the TripAdvisor App for the iPad 2, iPhone and iPod touch, available now in the App Store. The new augmented reality functionality allows travellers to view TripAdvisor's more than 45 million traveller reviews and opinions of hotels, restaurants and attractions superimposed over what they see through the camera of their mobile device. For instance, if a traveller is standing outside a restaurant, they can simply point their mobile device camera at it and TripAdvisor ratings and reviews of that establishment will automatically be displayed on the screen.
"With the launch of the new Live View feature for the TripAdvisor App, travellers can simply point their iPad 2, iPhone or iPod touch at establishments to easily access TripAdvisor's wealth of trusted reviews and opinions on hotels, restaurants and attractions with augmented reality in real-time while they're out and about in their travel destination" said Mike Putnam, director of mobile product for TripAdvisor.
In addition to Live View, TripAdvisor has added its Virtual Tours feature to its App for the iPhone and iPod touch. The functionality allows travellers to take a virtual walk through their travel destination with TripAdvisor reviews and opinions superimposed over Street View from Google.
The TripAdvisor App also has a wealth of other helpful travel planning features, including:
· TripAdvisor's more than 45 million reviews and opinions for hotels, restaurants and attractions. Travellers can even add their own reviews while their experiences are fresh.
· "Near Me Now" functionality, so travellers can determine what hotels, restaurants and attractions are nearby.
· Unique map-based browsing on the iPad, giving travellers the lay of the land in their travel destination.
· The ability to find cheap flights using the award-winning TripAdvisor Flights search engine, and compare airline fees using its Fees Estimator.
· Access to the TripAdvisor forums, where users can ask questions of their fellow travellers and receive helpful feedback.
· Traveler photos of hotels, restaurants, attractions and destinations.
The TripAdvisor App is available for free from the App Store on the iPad: