TripAdvisor reveals the UK’s most talked about restaurants
They say the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about and this list of restaurants we’ve put together have certainly created a buzz. As the most talked about restaurants on TripAdvisor in 2012 these eateries have really got chins wagging.
From celebrity-hang-outs to a family-run Indian restaurant, here are the top 10 restaurants with the most traveller reviews in the UK this year.*
“With the number of restaurants across the UK diners are spoilt for choice, but these restaurants have clearly created a buzz among the nation’s diners. With over 66,500 British restaurants listed on TripAdvisor, it’s fantastic to see such an eclectic mix make it into the 10 most talked about restaurant list,” commented Emma Shaw, TripAdvisor spokesperson.
1. Oxo Tower, London, EnglandLocated on the South Bank of the Thames on the eighth floor of the OXO Tower boasting breath-taking views of the city, diners can enjoy superb pan-Asian and modern British cuisine from the spectacular 250-foot terrace. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The food was fabulous and it is truly an unforgettable experience.”
2. Magpie Café, Whitby, EnglandOverlooking the harbour in the historic port of Whitby, Magpie Café is in a prime position for diners to take in the fabulous views of the seaside. The restaurant serves the finest fresh local fish and seafood using specially selected ingredients. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The service was excellent and we ate the best fish and chips we’ve had in a long time.”
3. Rustique, York, EnglandSpecialising in French cuisine made in a rustic cooking style, Rustique has a vibrant, bistro atmosphere offering a varied selection of meat and fish dishes cooked using local produce. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Wonderful food at a reasonable price, with courteous and helpful staff.”
4. The Ivy, London, EnglandEstablished in 1917 by Abel Glandellini and Mario Gallati, The Ivy is one of London’s finest and most sought-after restaurants, also offering a private dining room and private members club. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The food was so good and I have rarely experienced service like here. Best in London.”
5. Kismot, Edinburgh, ScotlandA family-run restaurant serving traditional and authentic Indian and Bangladeshi cuisine, Kismot is a modern establishment set in an intimate and relaxed atmosphere. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The food was fantastic, really tasty and very affordable. I would recommend it to everyone.”
6. Charcoals, Glasgow, ScotlandServing Indian cuisine from recipes handed down from father to son for generations, and cooked on large charcoal grills in front of diners, Charcoals offers a fun and entertaining experience. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The food is imaginative and full of flavour, and the staff are very helpful and friendly.”
7. Rick Stein's The Seafood Restaurant, Cornwall, EnglandStyled with pale woodwork, an eclectic collection of art and shelves of fine wines, The Seafood Restaurant is a haven for lovers of a fresh catch. With a seafood bar in the centre of the restaurant, diners can marvel as the chefs assemble platters of oysters, sushi and langoustines. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The restaurant is relaxed and the food is superb. Our expectations were exceeded.”
8. Jamie Oliver's Italian, Inverclyde, ScotlandServing rustic dishes from simple, fresh ingredients, based on much loved recipes, Jamie Oliver's Italian is a warm and relaxed environment which feels like you have prime place inside a traditional Italian kitchen. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “We love Italian food and found this restaurant very authentic, and we also loved the atmosphere.”
9. San Carlo - Manchester, EnglandWith high standards of service and food of the highest quality, San Carlo is a favourite with diners and the culinary industry. The restaurant offers an intimate feel with white décor and red accents throughout, . As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “San Carlo is totally unique with a fantastic setting and great menu.
10. Petrus, London, EnglandAdorned with modern, light interiors and highlighted with touches of claret red throughout the room, Gordon Ramsey’s Petrus is a sensation for the eyes. Serving modern French cuisine, classic flavours are expertly combined with beautiful presentation. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “A superb restaurant, and the food, service and quality is second to none.”
To see a list of the UK’s most talked about restaurants, visit http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/InfoCenter-a_ctr.mostrestaurantsUK
*Most talked about restaurants were determined using an algorithm that measured highest amount of reviews by travellers from the UK, in the period 18th July 2011 –18th July 2012.